halfmanhalfbook

The Prince of Mist (Mist, #1) - Carlos Ruiz Zafón I hadn't intended on reading this as I normally avoid the young adult genre, but it was 20p!

The father of the family decides that they need to move from the city to the coast because of the war. They move into a house that has already known tragedy.

Max starts to explore the immediate vicinity and finds a odd garden with creepy statues. He befriends Roland, adoptive grandson of the lighthouse keeper, and they explore a wreck just off the coast that his grandfather survived.

Strange things start to happen in the house, ending with a sister in hospital in a coma. Max, Roland and his other sister start to learn more about the truth and are told about the Prince of the Mist, a nasty character who was thought to have drowned on the ship as well.

Some of this was good, Zafon make it really creepy and disturbing at points. But I found the ending really implausible and not in fitting with the rest of the book.

Great British Bus Journeys: Travels Through Unfamous Places
One of Our Thursdays Is Missing
Jasper Fforde
The Night Circus
Erin Morgenstern
Poor Economics: Barefoot Hedge-fund Managers, DIY Doctors and the Surprising Truth about Life on less than $1 a Day
Abhijit V. Banerjee, Esther Duflo