halfmanhalfbook

1984: 60th-Anniversary Edition (Plume)

1984 - George Orwell Have been meaning to read this since 1984, and i finally did. I read Animal Farm for English at school, and always meant to read this, but life happened.The story is set in a dystopian future England, which is now part of a massive country called Oceania. The state is all pervasive in this country, and Winston Smith is a official of the Ministry of Truth, charged with amending history to suit the state. He has doubts about the legitimacy of the state, and starts to make enquiries about the real history of London and Oceania. He ends up having an affair with a girl in the same ministry who shares his point of view., He is caught by the thought police and is imprisoned and tortured, and pressed to confess and admit the truths that the state wishes to maintain.Orwell manages to convey a terrifying future, where the state has full control, and there is no room for or tolerance of dissent. This all seeing, all controlling state reminded me of the communist states where many people were the eyes and cares and were fast to denounce anyone. The book has lent many phrases to the English language too, Orwellian and Big brother being two. It does make me wonder if he managed to predict the way the English civil service would like to run things!

Great British Bus Journeys: Travels Through Unfamous Places
One of Our Thursdays Is Missing
Jasper Fforde
The Night Circus
Erin Morgenstern
Poor Economics: Barefoot Hedge-fund Managers, DIY Doctors and the Surprising Truth about Life on less than $1 a Day
Abhijit V. Banerjee, Esther Duflo